John has over 20 years experience in a range of marine and terrestrial consulting and research projects.
He has a reputation for being a careful, detailed planner and highly competent in communicating on complex issues. He also has wide-ranging experience communicating with multicultural audiences at varying levels of technical knowledge.
Knowledgeable, considered and passionate about his work – John is an invaluable environmental resource for any project.
- Principal Environmental Advisor, Sustainability Pty Ltd, 2004 - present
- Principal Environmental Scientist, IRC Environment, 1999-2004
- Consultant Marine Ecologist, Kinhill Pty Ltd, 1997-1999
- Marine Ecologist, WA Museum, 1996
- Experimental Scientist, CSIRO Division of Fisheries, 1992-1996
- Marine Ecologist, School of Biological Sciences, Murdoch University, 1988-1992
- Bachelor of Science (Biology), Curtin University
- BSc (Honours), Murdoch University
- Post Graduate Diploma in Cleaner Production, Curtin University
- RABQSA Registered Environmental Auditor
- International Cyanide Management Institute (ICMI) Registered Lead Auditor
CORE SKILLS AND EXPERTISE
John has extensive experience with:
- Petroleum exploration and production
- Port Operations
- Projects operating out of Australia, Mongolia and Kazakhstan.
John is highly competent in:
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Developing and implementing environmental management systems, programs and operational procedures.
- Statistical analysis and data interpretation.
- Training and communicatio
- Decommissioning and closure plannin
- Environmental Auditing.
SPECIALIST CONSULTING - ENVIRONMENT
His specific Environmental capabilities include:
- Environmental Risk Assessment - facilitating environmental risk assessment workshops.
- Environmental Management Plans – preparing EMPs.
- Environmental Approvals - facilitating project approvals.
- Environmental Legislation - assessing proposals and providing advic
- Environmental Impact Assessment - leading EIA studies.
- Environmental Support - providing in-house support for resource projects and operations.
- Environmental Auditing – auditing against
- ICMI and ISO14001 standards.
John’s environmental research topics have included:
- The effects of petroleum and infrastructure developments on marine communities.
- The effects of waste water on marine ecosystems.
- Biology and ecology of marine organisms.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE During his time with Sustainability, John has completed project work for most of our Environmental Clients, including:
Woodside Energy Ltd
- Conducting a review of the Greater Western Flank Phase 1 Environment Plan against the NOPSEMA guidelines.
- Conducting an audit of the Banambu Deep-1 Exploration Well drilling program
- Conducting an audit of the Curt 3D Seismic survey.
- Facilitating project approvals for a gas-fired power station in the Mid-West region of Western Australia.
Cliffs Asia Pacific Iron Ore Ltd
- Facilitating project approvals for Cliffs’ Cockatoo Island Stage 3 Iron Ore development and Koolyanobbing A/B/C iron ore deposits.
- Reviewing the Progressive Rehabilitation and Closure (PRAC) Strategy for Cliffs’ Cockatoo Island operations.
- Preparing the Progressive Rehabilitation and Closure Management System for Cliffs’ Koolyanobbing Operations.
- High level environmental aspects and impacts analysis for a confidential iron ore project in the Mid-West region of WA.
Mongolia Energy Corporation
- Due diligence review of the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment for the Khushuut Coal Project, Western Mongolia.
- Preparation of Environmental, Social and Safety Policies to ICMM Sustainability Guidelines.
- Due diligence review of the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment for the Mbalam Iron Ore Project, Cameroon.
- ISO 14001 audits of Newmont’s gold operations within the Asia-Pacific region, including Tanami Operations, Australia, and
- Waihi Operations, New Zealand.
- Conducting audits of Newmont’s dangerous goods supply chain to mine sites such as Batu Hijau (Indonesia), Tanami (Australia) and Waihi (New Zealand).
- Developing environmental approvals documentation for Eni’s exploration drilling programs in the in Timor-Leste sovereign waters, JPDA, northwest shelf and Perth Basin areas.
Southgobi Sands LLC
- Project managing baseline environmental studies of the Tsaagan Tolgoi coal deposit, including preparing work scopes, evaluating environmental consultants and reviewing technical reports.
- Preparing an EIA for the Ovoot Coal Project including gap analysis against World Bank EIA standards, supervision of Mongolian national environmental consultants, and in- house environmental support for the project engineering team.
- Environmental due diligence review of the Bolshevik Gold Project, Kazakhstan, including assessing environmental liabilities and asset retirement obligations.
Department of Mines and Petroleum
- Compliance auditing of Environment Division’s Oil Spill Contingency Plan assessments against the Department’s assessment protocol.
Barrick Gold of Australia
- Conducting an internal audit/gap analysis at the Plutonic site for compliance with the International Cyanide Management Code.