BSc (Environmental Science)
John’s diverse experience over 25 years includes environment, community and social responsibility consulting, environmental regulation and environmental management. His services have been used for the environmental and social planning and assessment of small and large scale mining, oil and gas, infrastructure and industrial projects within Australia and internationally
As the Principal Advisor of Environment at Sustainability, John leads a team of environmental specialists on environmental and social assessment of terrestrial and marine projects. John has consulted extensively on impact assessment and mitigation of mining and infrastructure projects in Western Australia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan and throughout South East Asia these include the coordination and direction of large scale biodiversity assessments of green-fields mining and transport projects in sensitive landscapes.
John’s professional career includes 8 years with the WA Department of Environment where he managed and worked in regional offices throughout Western Australia. He was responsible for environmental regulation, investigation and assessment of a wide range of resource development and industrial projects. John’s experience includes biodiversity conservation with the WA Department of Conservation and Land Management where he was
responsible for conservation reserve management and assisted with wildlife research programs.
- Bachelor of Science (Environmental Science)
- RABQSA Registered Environmental Auditor
- International Cyanide Management Institute approved Lead Auditor
- Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand
- Australian Institute of Environmental Accounting
At Sustainability, John manages and coordinates the work undertaken by the Environment Business Unit.
His core expertise covers the following areas:
- Coordination and management of marine and terrestrial biodiversity assessments
- Knowledge and understanding of international environmental and social standards relevant to ESIA including IFC performance standards and Equator Principles
- Management of environmental permitting and ESIA for mining, energy and infrastructure
- Assessment of pollution issues and contaminated sites
- Resolution of conflicts and facilitation of sustainable outcomes
- Environmental auditing, management and assessment
- International Cyanide Management Institute (ICMI) auditing
- Greenhouse Gas and Energy audits
- Community and stakeholder consultation
MAJOR PROJECTS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Environmental approvals, establishment of environment and community programs, government liaison for mining operations including ESIA, environmental management planning and closure bonding for the Oyu Tolgoi Project, , Mongolia
- Coordination and management of biodiversity studies for ESIA mining and transport projects in Mongolia
- Project Manager for the biodiversity assessment of transport corridors in the Great Victoria Desert Western Australia
- Coordination and management of baseline environment surveys for a mineral resource
project in Northwest Province, Sri Lanka.
- Project management of environmental approvals and assessments for Eni Australia’s oil and gas developments in Australia and Timor Leste
2006 – Present: Director and Principal Advisor of Sustainability Pty Ltd
- Director and manager at Sustainability with responsibility for the Environment Business
- Principal Advisor of Sustainability East Asia, Ulaanbaatar Mongolia, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sustainability Pty Ltd
- Direct and manage environmental and social consulting projects internationally and within Australia.
2002-2006: Principal Advisor Sustainability Pty Ltd
- Project managed environment and social programs for the Oyu Tolgoi Project in Mongolia, including the coordination and management of field surveys, impact assessments and approvals.
- Myanmar Ivanhoe Exploration: Environmental and Social l baseline studies and EIA of the Modi Taung Gold Project, Myanmar
- Newmont Asia Pacific Region: ISO14001 certification of operations in Australia, Indonesia
and New Zealand
- Guelb Moghrein Mine Project Mauritania: Social Impact Management Plan
2001-2002 Manager Kwinana Branch, Department of Environment Western Australia
1996- 2001: Regional Manager Midwest Region, Department of Environment, Western Australia
1994-1996: Environmental Officer Goldfields Region, Department of Environmental Protection, Western Australia
1992-1994: Environment Officer, Goldfields Region, Main Roads Western Australia
1990-1992: Technical Officer Department of Conservation and Land Management, Goldfields
region Western Australia
1986-1988: Technical Officer, Department of Conservation and Land Management, Pilbara
Region, Western Australia
1983-1986: Forest Officer, Department of Conservation and Land Management/ Forest Department, Western Australia
- Ukhaa Khudag Coal Mine Mongolia Environment and Social Impact Assessment including biodiversity assessments for international lending institutions
- Sino Gold: Guizhou Jinfeng Mine and White Mountain Project: Environmental Management Plan and Procedures
- ERM Power Three Springs Western Australia, Power Plant Environment assessment and
referral documentation. Includes ecological assessment of impacts of gas pipelines on remnant vegetation.
- Oyu Tolgoi Copper/Gold Project Mongolia: Project Director for landscaper level environmental and social surveys and development of Cultural Heritage Plan.
- Bakyrchik Mining Venture Ltd, Kazakhstan: Environmental and Social Impact Assessment,
closure cost estimates and biodiversity baseline studies.
- Mineral Sands Project Sri Lanka, Pre – Feasibility Environment Report and scoping of
ecological sensitive areas.
OIL AND GAS EXPERIENCE:
- Development of Environment Plans and Oil Spill Contingency Plans for offshore exploration and development programs
- Woodside Phase V Karratha Gas Plant Expansion and Enfield Project
- Onshore oil exploration Petro Matad Mongolia – Development of environmental and social management plans and approvals.
John has completed approximately 15 years of
leading environmental audits which include:
- Lead auditor for International Cyanide Management Institute standards of practice for gold mines, producers and transporters. Audits completed in Australia, Laos and Papua New Guinea.
- Approved auditor for compliance audits for Environmental Protection and Biodiversity
Conservation Act (Australia) conditions for offshore marine and terrestrial projects