Heath has been leading the development, implementation and compliance of practical risk management standards and systems on resources projects for over 25 years. He is an industry leader in change management for emerging or challenged mining projects, working with corporate and operations to apply Occupational Health and Safety, and Environmental risk management solutions.
Now a strong safety leader, Heath began as an environmental professional and provides integrated leadership across sustainability issues encompassing environmental, social responsibility and community liaison and development.
Heath has worked in numerous countries throughout the world and has extensive experience in the Asia Pacific region including Laos, Papua New Guinea, New Caledonia, Mongolia, India and Africa.
• Vice President HSE, Zinc Mining Projects, India
• Senior Manager HSE, Oyu Tolgoi Project, Rio Tinto, Mongolia
• HSE Manager, Lihir Gold Project, Newcrest, Papua New Guinea
• Regional OHS and Sustainability Manager, KTL Projects, Pan Aust, Laos / Myanmar / Thailand / Vietnam
• HSE and Radiation Manager, Ranger Uranium, Rio Tinto, Australia
• HSER and Community Manager, Tonkolili, Sierra Leone and Kwale, Kenya, Ausenco
• HSE Manager – Major Hazards, PT INCO, Indonesia
• General Manager, NOSA, Australia.
CORE SKILLS AND EXPERTISE
Heath provides consulting and advisory services in:
• Implementation of workplace Health, Safety and Environment Major Hazard Standards.
• Development and implementation of certified management systems.
• Behaviour based auditing of “high risk” sites.
• OHS consulting to key clients throughout Asia and Australasia.
• Technical consulting for safety, health risk assessment and systems development through to auditing and training.
• Facilitating, training and consulting in project and operational risk assessment, task observation and behaviour-based safety programs.
• Development of operational OHS teaching and learning resources.
MAJOR PROJECTS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
Oyu Tolgoi Underground Construction, Senior Manager HSE
• Developed and implemented HSE systems for the construction of the underground mines at the OT project.
• Oyu Tolgoi led all of Rio Tinto’s 60 operational sites and major projects throughout the world in safety.
KTL Project OHS and Sustainability Manager
• Managed HSE risk for Pan Aust throughout Asia both mine sites in Laos, the KTL project area, ports in Thailand and Vietnam and activities in Myanmar.
• Role expanded to cover Environment, Health, Safety, ERT, Community Relations, Community Development and Medical services as part of the Phu Bia Mining group.
Chief Health, Safety & Environment Officer – Zinc Mining Projects
Health, Safety and Environmental oversight of all Zinc assets and operations including exploration, projects, underground mines, concentrating plants, smelters, refineries, captive powerplants and associated logistics, infrastructure, closure projects and rehabilitation.
Senior Manager – HSE – Oyu Tolgoi Underground Project, Rio Tinto
HSE lead on the multi-billion dollar Oyu Tolgoi underground mega-project spanning over 7 years and including EPCM oversight, and multiple surface and underground contractor companies for scopes including:
• UG lateral development
• Multiple shaft sinking and fit-out
• Conveyor to surface double heading decline
• Various UG infrastructure fit-outs
• Various surface civil and infrastructure construction works
At the conclusion of 2017 the project had an industry leading AIFR (0.39) and LTIFR (0.18) with over 1 million work hours logged each month. All leading and lagging HSE targets achieved and front-line leadership and CRM coaching strategy developed and implemented with measurable outcomes.
Manager – Health, Safety & Environment, Newcrest Mining
• Managing the teams responsible for health, safety and environment and the ISOS managed hospital and clinic at Newcrest’s open pit gold mine on Lihir Island in PNG.
Safety & Sustainability Manager – Pan Aust Asia, Pan Aust
Managing safety and risk for the company in all aspects throughout Asia. This includes Occupational health & hygiene, Safety, Emergency services and Medical services across both mine sites in Laos, the KTL project area, ports in Thailand and Vietnam and activities in Myanmar.
This is an expanded role from the original Phu Kham Safety and Sustainability Manager role which was managing the team responsible for Environment, Health, Safety, ERT, Community Relations, Community Development and Medical services at the Phu Kham open pit copper / gold mine as part of the Phu Bia Mining group (Pan Aust).
Manager HSE & Radiation; Acting Area Manager – R3D Exploration Decline, Rio Tinto Ranger Uranium Mine – NT
Manager Health, Safety, Environment and Radiation for the Brine Concentrator and Ranger 3 Deeps Exploration Decline construction projects at the Ranger Uranium Mine in the Northern Territory.
Successfully managed the team and project to DNV certification, and the project was used by Rio Tinto as the physical sample to provide certification to Rio Tinto projects in Australia.
Appointed Acting Area Construction Manager from May 2013 for the R3D exploration decline including diamond drilling program.
HSE & Community Manager, Ausenco, Tonkolili – Sierra Leone / Kwale – Kenya
• Tonkolili – Based in Sierra Leone, West Africa, the Tonkolili Phase 1 B Project is the construction management of a 12 M t/y iron ore hematite processing plant.
• Kwale – Based in Kenya, East Africa, This is an EPCM to deliver the concentrator and mineral separation plant for the Kwale Project Mineral Sands Project, which is anticipated to produce approximately 4.7 million tonnes of final product over 13 years from late 2013.