David has a strong history in operational risk management and people management. He has over 7 years’ experience in the resources industries working with clients on operational risk in HSE including development of OHS systems, training in OHS and leadership, auditing of HSE systems, and assisting clients with Contractor Management programs.
This experience has two focuses of working with companies to develop their HSE processes and working with contractors to the construction and resources industries to understand client HSE management systems and comply to corporate standards.
Prior to entering the resources sector with Sustainability David spent over 10 years assisting organizations to manage operational risk including large / high risk aquatic events.
- Safety Consultant and Lead Auditor Sustainability 2007 to present
- Operations and Corporate Services Manager, Sustainability 2007 to present
- Manager Sport and Events, Surf Life Saving WA 2005-2006
- Risk and Operations Manager Avon Decent and Rottnest Channel Swim 1999 to 2005.
- Bachelor of Business
- Diploma OHS
- Lead Auditor OHS
- Auditor QMS
- ICAM Investigations
- Intensive Management Course
- OHS Construction Induction
- Delivery of the BHP Billiton Safe Act Observation.
Core Skills & Expertise
David’s core skills include:
- Working with companies to develop and improve HSE systems, processes and policies to support organization’s objectives
- OHS and Contractor Management systems Lead Auditor
- Leading, supervising and coaching staff
- Monitoring and managing risk whilst achieving stated aims and objectives
- Work with and manage teams to provide valuable outcomes for projects.
Major Projects & Achievements
- Operational HSE auditing for BHP mine sites in preparation for internal and external audits.
- ICAM Investigation for contractors to major resources companies
- OHS Auditing Ramu NiCo Nickel refinery and mining operations
- Safety advisor support to Chevron Wheatstone Construction project
- OHS systems review and development of systems for Gumala Aboriginal Corporation
- OHS and QMS auditor with Equal Assurance Certification
- Contractor Management systems auditor for Rio Tinto Iron Ore for 6 years, working with the RTIO team on process improvement.
- Provision of risk training programs for Premier Coal operations.
- Development and delivery of “Back to Basics” hazard identification and reporting training programs for resource development team
- Provision of behavioral based training programs for supervisors
- Development and implementation of HSE Management system for various companies contracting to major mining houses in WA
- Risk management and safety support for Cliffs Natural Resources exploration development