Colin is a multi-faceted environmental professional with over 10 years of international experience across a broad range of industries including oil and gas, mining and resources and infrastructure. With a background in a range of environmental positions, Colin has an excellent understanding of industry and operations.
As a Senior Environmental Advisor and Global project Manager at Sustainability, Colin is responsible for lead technical environmental input and the oversight of the multidisciplinary team delivering successful projects throughout Australia and internationally. As an Exemplar Global certified Lead Environmental and OHS Auditor, Colin also provides independent compliance auditing services to the oil and gas, mining, infrastructure, industrial and energy sectors throughout Australia and internationally.
Colin has diverse experience in international financial institution IESC role, including as the Lead Environmental Specialist and Assistant Project Manager for the ongoing due diligence monitoring of the 1850km Trans-Anatolian-Natural-Gas Pipeline Project (Turkey), the EHS specialist and Project Manager for the Acacia Copper Mine in Turkey, Environmental Specialist for the Trans Adriatic Pipeline (Greece, Albania and Italy) and Project Director, Project Manager and Lead Environmental Specialist for the BRUA pipeline in Romania. This is in addition to environmental specialist for the construction and rehabilitation of the West Angelas and Cape Lambert Petroleum Pipelines in Western Australia. Colin has primarily worked on EBRD Performance Requirements 1,3,4 and 6, IFC Performance Standards 1,3 and 6, World bank Safeguard Policies and the Equator Principles.
- Senior Environmental Advisor & Global Project Manager, Sustainability, Perth
- Environmental Advisor, Environmental Strategies, Perth
- Environmental Advisor, OSD, Perth
- Environmental Advisor, OSD/Monadelphous, Western Australia
- Environmental Analyst, SAL, UK
- Exemplar Global Lead Auditor - Environment
- Exemplar Global Lead Auditor - OHS
- Cert III Companion Animal Services
- Master of Science, Environmental Management & Sustainable Development
Colin’s specific Environmental capabilities include:
- Environmental management
- Environmental compliance & field monitoring
- Environmental/OHS Auditing
- Sustainable development / sustainability
- IFC, Equator Principles and EBRD environmental and social sustainability standards for project financing
- Non-mineral waste management
- Scientific investigations including contaminated lands
- Environmental analysis (chemical analysis)
- Project management
- Proposal writing
International Impact Assessment, Due Diligence and Auditing:
- International Impact Assessment –Team member (Environmental Specialist) for the Environmental Due Diligence of TANAP Natural Gas Pipeline in Turkey against EBRD Performance Requirements.
- Lead Environmental & OHS Specialist and Project Manager for Environmental and Social Due Diligence Monitoring (construction and operations) for TANAP Natural Gas Pipeline in Turkey against IFC, EBRD, World Bank Requirements
- Environmental Specialist for the construction of the Trans Adriatic Pipeline (TAP) project transporting natural gas from the Shah Deniz 2 project in Azerbaijan via an 878-km long natural gas pipeline passing through Greece, Albania and Italy, against IFI Requirements/Standards.
- Project Director, Project Manager, Lead Environmental Specialist for the Bulgaria, Romania, Austria and Hungary (BRUA) Natural gas pipeline project against EBRD Performance Requirements
- Project Manager and Lead Environmental Specialist for the Environmental and Social Due Diligence monitoring of the Acacia Copper Mine in Kastamonu, Turkey against EBRD Requirements
- Project Manager and Environmental Lead conducting the Oyu Tolgoi copper/gold mine 320 mw Power Plant ESIA update. Colin is responsible for responding to technical questions and queries during lender review and finalisation of ESIA documents.
- Project Director tasked with Project oversight, quality assurance, contract management, reporting etc. for the update of Khan Bank’s (Mongolia) ESMS to reflect international financial institutions performance standards including IFC. Once complete, environmental and social due diligence of two major projects funded by Khan Bank is required.
- Project Manager and Lead Environmental Specialist for consortium of companies including Ramboll Group for ESIA and DEIA - Erdene Mongol LLC’s Bayan Khundi and Altan Nar Gold Deposits (Mongolia) against lender requirements (IFC), national and international legislation.
- Lead environmental specialist for Oyu Tolgoi Tavern Tolgoi Power Plant ESIA Project prepared to meet lender requirements (IFC and EBRD). A Project undertaken in collaboration with Ramboll Group.
Mongolia Oyu Tolgoi copper/gold mine – waste Management
- Principal Waste Specialist for the Rio Tinto Oyu Tolgoi Copper/Gold Mine in Mongolia, tasked with identifying and assessing all non-mineral waste streams for surface and underground mine operations, identifying and providing solutions and recommendations for problematic waste streams, generating a waste forecast for surface and underground options, developing waste inventories and developing a long-term non-mineral waste management strategy including procedures.
Sainshand Wind Park Project (Mongolia) –
environmental and social monitoring
- Principal Environmental Advisor tasked with oversight and review of environmental and social monitoring for the construction phase of the Sainshand Wind Park Project, Mongolia (25 wind turbine generators, 55 megawatt capacity) in accordance with the construction environmental and social management plan and international financial lender requirements such as EBRD and IFC. Monitoring review included air quality, noise, water, biodiversity, waste, hazardous material and pollution and social monitoring.
- Colin conducted a peer review of Environmental and Social Environmental Management Plans for the offshore Shah Deniz 2 natural gas platform Project in Azerbaijan (BP)
- Completed Operating Licence and Ministerial Statement Compliance Audits for mining Projects and refineries within Western Australia
- Completed Ministerial Statement Compliance Audit for Ammonia Nitrate Plants (Yara)
- Completed third party ISO 14001 EMS audits for mining projects;
- Completed state-wide Clearing Permit Audits for Roads and Infrastructure Projects
- Completed integrated management system audit of transport contractor to mining industry
- Completed environmental legal and corporate obligation audits for Power Stations including Operating Licences, Ministerial Statements, Works Approvals, Groundwater Licences, Clearing Permits and Dangerous Goods Compliance audits.
ICMC Cyanide Code
- Completed Compliance Scientific investigation – investigation to assess suitability of mill tailings as underground backfill (paste) on workers’ health and the environment (Code 4.6.3)
- Completed contaminated Sites remediation studies across a number of industries including Rail
- Project managed site relinquishment study for MMA including site assessment, characterisation, sampling and tier 1 risk assessment.
- Project managed PSI and DSIs for Progress Rail LLC (Caterpillar subsidiary)
- Completed Environmental Legal Compliance Register development and reviews (Cliffs, Ashahi)
- Completed environmental compliance and management review for air quality management at world’s first modular technical Ammonium Nitrate Plant (TAN Plant – Yara)
- Dust management, approvals (Works Approvals, Mining Proposals, Mine Closure Plans) EMS document development and review and project management for Hawthorn Resources (gold mining).
- Approvals and Project Management of level 1 reconnaissance flora and fauna surveys for GME (mining).
Other Major Projects,
- Environmental Advisor for the West Angelas Petroleum Pipeline and Stations Project
- Environmental Advisor for the Cape Lambert Gas Pipeline Project
- Successful completion of independent air quality study using lichens as biological indicators of traffic related air pollution across vast geographical environments (Manchester, UK)
- Successful completion of 12-month air quality monitoring strategy for major natural gas constructions projects (Rio Tinto)
- Generation and implementation of various project environmental procedures including Environmental Management Plans and monitoring procedures for natural gas pipeline projects
- Successful commissioning of waste water treatment plant (WWTP) including spray field, final effluent and soil sampling and monitoring for a 150 man fly camp in the Pilbara
- Successful completion of water bore strategy, ground water sampling and management of water use for dust suppression according to license approvals in the Pilbara. Colin worked in collaboration with Rio Tinto for licensing requirements and the submission of form 2 (completion of non-artesian well) and 5c (license to take surface water) forms
- Authored approved clearing permits covering an 85KM CROW without single clearing breach on major natural gas pipeline (West Angelas)
- Analysed high profile contaminated land, air and water samples for a range of pollutants including niche Dioxin and Furan samples, PAH and PCBs
- Produced monthly NGER reports managing Greenhouse Gases and Hydrocarbons for major natural gas pipeline project (Rio Tinto)
- Authored monthly and quarterly environmental reports encompassing all deliverables for West Angelas natural gas pipeline
- Leading a team of 12 Indigenous Fauna Handlers to successfully complete daily trench inspections and relocate fauna
- Successfully managed and tested Slurry Laboratory testing scope including rheology and corrosion analysis (FMG North Star iron ore, Xstrata Copper concentrate and tailings and Iluka Resources mineral sands)
- Successfully managed and supervised hazardous testing scope in collaboration with CSIRO Perth (Worley Parsons – Centrex Bungalow Project)
- Authored and implemented Slurry Laboratory Standard Operating Procedure and induction manuals.
SPECIALIST CONSULTING – (SCIENTIFIC ANALYSIS: PERSISTENT ORGANIC POLLUTANTS)
- Working within the extremely specialised Dioxin and Furans chemical analysis division, Colin has sampled, managed and analytically tested high profile contaminated environmental samples including soils, fly ash, water, TRAP (stack emissions) and foods and feeds for persistent organic pollutants such as Dioxin, PCBs and PAH using different methods such as Soxhlet extractions, ASE, liq-liq for waters and column chromatography. With the nature of the samples analysed, Colin has exceptional chemical and specialised chemical analysis skills and possesses advanced levels of safety training from chemical handling to site awareness.