With nine years of industry and scientific experience and educated to MSc level, Colin has a wealth of diverse and versatile experience across a broad range of environmental industries including oil and gas, mining, scientific analysis and air pollution. With background in a range of environmental positions, Colin has an excellent understanding of industry and operations.
As an Environmental Advisor, Colin has been responsible for developing environmental management systems, technical reporting and providing approvals and licensing support. In addition to this, Colin has been site based as the custodian of a variety of construction activities, managing all environmental aspects of projects including pipelines, water bores and other infrastructure. Colin has been responsible for ensuring environmental compliance is adhered to and all regulatory deliverables and monitoring requirements are met.
Colin’s career includes several years in the UK working within the extremely specialised Dioxin and Furans chemical analysis sector.
- Senior Environmental Advisor, Sustainability, Perth
- Environmental Advisor, Environmental Strategies, Perth
- Environmental Advisor, OSD, Perth
- Environmental Advisor, OSD/Monadelphous, Western Australia
- Environmental Analyst, SAL, UK
- Master of Science, Environmental Management & Sustainable Development Fauna qualifications (Polytechnic West):
- Rescue Animals and Apply Basic First Aid
- Release Native Animals to Natural Environment
- Assist with Capturing, Restraining and Moving Animals
- Conduct Euthanasia of Research Animals
- Reptile and Venomous Snake Removal
Core Skills and Expertise
Colin’s diverse professional experience has espoused him with a multi-faceted skillset covering environmental management, environmental compliance, scientific investigations, environmental chemistry, sustainable development, research and design and policy analysis.
Over the course of his career, Colin has attained an excellent understanding of client liaison, stakeholder communication and engagement and project management to deliver successful projects throughout Australia and overseas.
Colin’s environmental scope of practice includes:
- Environmental management
- Environmental compliance & field monitoring
- Sustainable development / sustainability
- Internal / external technical report writing
- Developing EMPs and associated procedures
- Rehabilitation and commissioning
- Scientific investigations
- Air quality studies (Heavy metals, Ambient Air & OHS)
- Ground water and soil sampling
- Environmental analysis (chemical analysis)
- Project management • Flora and fauna management
- Proposal writing
- Stakeholder engagement
Specialist Consulting - (Scientific Analysis: Persistent Organic Pollutants)
Working within the extremely specialised Dioxin and Furans chemical analysis division, Colin has sampled, managed and analytically tested high profile contaminated environmental samples including soils, fly ash, water, TRAP (stack emissions) and foods and feeds for persistent organic pollutants such as Dioxin, PCBs and PAH using different methods such as Soxhlet extractions, ASE, liq-liq for waters and column chromatography. With the nature of the samples analysed, Colin has exceptional chemical and specialised chemical analysis skills and also possesses advanced levels of safety training from chemical handling to site awareness.
Major Projects, Achievements and Professional Experience
- Successful completion of independent air quality study using lichens as biological indicators of traffic related air pollution across vast geographical environments (Manchester, UK)
- Successful completion of 12 month air quality monitoring strategy for major natural gas constructions projects (Rio Tinto)
- Generation and implementation of various project environmental procedures including Environmental Management Plans and monitoring procedures (West Angelas and Cape Lambert)
- Successful commissioning of waste water treatment plant (WWTP) including spray field, final effluent and soil sampling and monitoring for a 150 man fly camp in the Pilbara
- Successful completion of water bore strategy, ground water sampling and management of water use for dust suppression according to license approvals in the Pilbara. Colin worked in collaboration with Rio Tinto for licensing requirements and the submission of form 2 (completion of non-artesian well) and 5c (license to take surface water) forms
- Authored approved clearing permits covering an 85KM CROW without single clearing breach on major natural gas pipeline (West Angelas)
- Analysed high profile contaminated land, air and water samples for a range of pollutants including niche Dioxin and Furan samples, PAH and PCBs
- Produced monthly NGER reports managing Greenhouse Gases and Hydrocarbons for major natural gas pipeline project (Rio Tinto)
- Authored monthly and quarterly environmental reports encompassing all deliverables for West Angelas natural gas pipeline • Leading a team of 12 Indigenous Fauna Handlers to successfully complete daily trench inspections and relocate fauna
- Successfully managed and tested Slurry Laboratory testing scope including rheology and corrosion analysis (FMG North Star iron ore, Xstrata Copper concentrate and tailings and Iluka Resources mineral sands)
- Successfully managed and supervised hazardous testing scope in collaboration with CSIRO Perth (Worley Parsons – Centrex Bungalow Project)
- Authored and implemented Slurry Laboratory Standard Operating Procedure and induction manuals